Search Continuing Education

Student Handbook

Student Conduct

Student conduct codes maintain general welfare of the university community by promoting individual responsibility and personal development. Continuing Education’s student conduct policies follow university standards. Visit the Honor Code and Academic Dishonesty page for specific information about online courses.

Student Conduct Resources:

Office of Student Conduct — administers student conduct policies and procedures.
Honor Code — violations of this policy may include: cheating, plagiarism, aid of academic dishonesty, fabrication, lying, bribery, and threatening behavior.
Classroom and Course-related Behavior — students and faculty have responsibility for maintaining an appropriate learning environment.

Email Policy

Email is an official means of communication from CU-Boulder administrators and faculty to students. All students have an official CU-Boulder email address. Students are expected to check their CU-Boulder email on a frequent and consistent basis in order to stay current with university related communications.

Add, Drop, and Withdrawal Info

Enrolled students must add or drop courses by the dates and deadlines listed in their program’s academic calendar. You may add, drop, or withdraw via MyCUInfo, at our office at 1505 University Avenue, Boulder, or by email at

If you fail to drop by the deadline you may receive a grade of F and you may be liable for any tuition and fees. You may withdraw from a credit course after the published drop deadline. Withdrawals will result in a W on your academic record.

Administrative Drop Policy

If you do not attend your courses regularly during the first week through the last day to drop, you may be administratively dropped. Nonattendance does not constitute withdrawal. If you have questions, check with your instructor or contact us.

Probation and Suspension

Students must maintain satisfactory academic performance and GPA standards established by colleges or the Division of Continuing Education to remain good academic standing. Failure to meet set requirements may result in academic probation or suspension.

Probation is an official warning that the student’s cumulative GPA is not meeting standards and the student is subject to suspension or dismissal. When a student is placed on suspension or dismissal, they are not allowed to enroll in CU Boulder main campus courses, but they can enroll in summer courses and Continuing Education courses. Probation, suspension, and readmission standards vary by school or college.

See more

For Arts and Sciences Students

Arts and Sciences students who are on dismissal from daytime courses and who enroll in Continuing Education courses will be required either to achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above or to maintain a minimum 2.5 term GPA. If the student fails to do so, the student will be dismissed from both College of Arts and Sciences and Continuing Education. This policy does NOT apply to students on academic probation. Students enrolled in self-paced online courses should contact a Continuing Education academic advisor for information regarding extensions.

For Engineering Students

CU cumulative and semester GPAs should all be at or greater than 2.250 to avoid being placed on academic recovery. Students on academic suspension from the College of Engineering and Applied Science may enroll in Continuing Education’s online term-based, online self-paced, and evening courses but may not exceed 16 total credit hours of course work in one semester. Students need to earn semester GPAs of at least 2.300 while enrolled in Continuing Education courses.

For Nondegree Students

Nondegree students who complete credit course work are subject to the Continuing Education probation and dismissal policies. Students who fail to maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA after completion of any semester will receive one semester of probation. During this semester the student may take evening, online, ACCESS, or Summer Session courses in an effort to reach a 2.0 GPA. If the student fails to receive a 2.0 GPA after the probationary semester, the student will be placed on suspension. While on suspension the student may take evening, online, or Summer Session courses only and must maintain a 2.5 term GPA or reach an overall cumulative of 2.0 in order to continue enrolling in courses at CU through Continuing Education. A student that fails to obtain a 2.5 term GPA or overall 2.0 GPA each semester while on suspension will be dismissed from the Continuing Education and will not be allowed to continue to take fall or spring Continuing Education courses for a minimum of five years. Enrollment in Summer Session or summer course work through evening and online carries no penalty, and students who achieve an overall GPA of 2.0 may return to taking courses during the fall and spring semesters. Student records are not reviewed for academic performance at the end of each summer term.

Grading System and Grade Appeal

Continuing Education follows the CU Boulder grading system which can be found in the University of Colorado catalog. Please note that faculty determine the grading policies for their courses.

You may take courses pass/fail. For all credit courses the deadlines for requesting pass/fail vary. Please call an Enrollment Services specialist at 303-492-5148 for specific deadlines. Be sure you have checked with your department, school, or college to ensure that credit will be granted to you for courses taken pass/fail.

Grade Appeal

Grade disputes between students and individual faculty member are usually resolved in conversation between the student and faculty member. In those rare instances when a resolution cannot be reached, an appeals process provides a hearing for both student and faculty member.

The grade appeals process is determined by individual schools and colleges. Generally, the process is as follows:

See more

If you believe that a grade has been improperly assigned, the first step is to discuss the concern with the faculty member. If you or the faculty member is not on the Boulder campus, you may request a mutually convenient time to talk on the telephone. Conversations may be by email, but telephone is preferred. If your conversations with the faculty member do not resolve the problem:

1. You have the option of making a formal written appeal to the Department Chair. The appeal must specify the remedy desired by you and it must be submitted within 45 days of the end of the academic term in which the course was taken. For online self-paced independent learning classes, the student will have 45 days after the grade is posted on the Student Information System to make an appeal.

2. The Chair or designee will meet or talk by telephone (together or separately) with you and with the faculty member who taught the course.

3. If a mutually acceptable solution is not agreed upon, then the Chair shall appoint an ad hoc Grade Appeals Committee, which will review the dispute. The Committee shall consist of at least three impartial faculty members competent in the subject matter of the course in question. The Committee will be provided with the student’s appeal and a written response from the faculty member.

4. Within 45 days, the Committee will submit a report and recommendation to the Chair, and the Chair will recommend to the instructor either that the originally assigned grade stand or that a new grade is assigned. If a change of grade is recommended and the instructor does not wish to accept the recommendation of his/her colleagues, the Chair shall forward the written materials associated with the appeal to the Dean of Continuing Education and the Dean of the College for final determination.

Online and Distance Education Student Complaint Resolution

Online and distance education students may file a complaint by following the campus complaint procedure to internally resolve grievances. Students who have exhausted opportunities for resolution and are unsatisfied with their resolution may file a complaint with the Colorado Department of Higher Education. Additionally, students residing outside of Colorado may file a complaint with their state agency.

Any prospective or enrolled student may request a copy of a campus’s accreditation and state approval documents. Complaints relating to the University’s institutional quality may be filed with the Higher Learning Commission.

State Authorization Regarding Online and Distance Education

Prospective and Current Students: The following information explains the University of Colorado Boulder’s status with regard to offering online education to students living outside of Colorado. As of September 1, 2016, students living in any state may now enroll in all online courses, programs, certificates or degrees offered by the University of Colorado Boulder. See below for more information and for any possible restrictions you might encounter.

Additional Information About CU Boulder’s Status Regarding Authorizations in Other States
In February 2015, CU Boulder became a participant in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) initiative. Operating under NC-SARA allows CU Boulder to offer online education to students living in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

CU Boulder may also enroll students living in California, Connecticut, Florida, Kentucky*, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.

*Other Restrictions on Enrollment and Activity: Kentucky
Prospective and current students cannot enroll in or satisfy any component in a course, program, certificate, or degree that requires them to participate in an internship, field experience, or any activity that would physically occur on-the-ground in Kentucky. We will update this web site as soon as we become aware of changes in this restriction.

Professional Licensure Disclosure
Prospective and current students interested in courses, programs, certificates, or degrees that lead to professional licensure must understand their state licensing board’s requirements prior to enrolling. Students are advised to contact Senior Associate Vice Provost William Kuskin at or (303-492-6433) about information regarding their specific state of current or intended residence.

Nondegree Advising Requirements

Students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 in order to continue enrolling in Continuing Education course work. Students who have not maintained a GPA of 2.0 after completing one semester will have an academic advising hold placed on their records. These students will be ineligible to enroll in additional course work until they consult with an academic advisor and have the hold lifted.

Regardless of GPA, all nondegree students who have earned 15+ credit hours are required to meet with a Continuing Education advisor regarding their academic goals. Nondegree students will be ineligible to enroll in additional course work until they obtain this consultation.

Schedule an appointment with an Academic Advisor.

Petitioning for Exemption to Deadlines and Rules

The petition process is designed to provide students who experience unavoidable, extenuating circumstances, the opportunity to waive a University policy that, if enforced, would result in unsatisfactory academic progress or financial consequences. A committee of Continuing Education staff reviews petitions on a regular basis. For more information, please contact the petition coordinator at or 303-492-2202.

Students also have the right to appeal to the Dean of Continuing Education any decision made by the petition committee. Contact the Division’s enrollment services staff for more information.

Excused Absences for Religious Observance

Campus policy regarding religious observances requires that faculty make every effort to reasonably and fairly deal with all students who, because of religious obligations, have conflicts with scheduled exams, assignments, or required attendance. Visit the CU-Boulder Policies website for a complete version.

Confidentiality of Student Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords you certain rights with respect to your education records. The CU-Boulder Registrar’s Office website has information on the guidelines for the release of student information under FERPA.


The University of Colorado Boulder does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation or political philosophy, or veteran status in admission and access to, and treatment and employment in, its educational programs and activities. The university takes affirmative action to increase ethnic, cultural, and gender diversity; to employ qualified disabled individuals; and to provide equal opportunity to all students and employees.

Now that you’ve selected your favorite Continuing Education courses, email or print the information, including class number, to more easily search MyCUInfo and enroll. Still have questions? Contact an advisor.