Maintaining Your F-1 Student Visa with Continuing Education Courses

If you are studying at CU Boulder while on an F-1 student visa you must meet the following enrollment requirements to maintain your immigration status:

  • Be enrolled as a full-time student (undergraduate full time = 12 or more credit hours) with at least nine credit hours of in-person coursework.
  • No more than three credit hours of online courses will count toward full-time enrollment.

It is possible to maintain your immigration status by taking courses through Continuing Education in certain situations. We work closely with the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office to help our international students enroll in the appropriate number and type of credit hours.

Schedule an appointment with one of our advisors to learn more about:

  • Adding or dropping courses,
  • GPA requirements,
  • English language support,
  • Campus resources.

Please note that Continuing Education does not provide immigration advising. Please contact ISSS for questions related to your immigration status.

Adding a Course to Maintain Full-time Status

The following courses could help you maintain your immigration status. Schedule an appointment with an advisor to learn more about:

  • Online Flexible Courses (Enroll at almost any time)
  • Late-Start Courses (7- and 10-week options)
  • Applied Music Courses (10-week courses)

Now that you’ve selected your favorite Continuing Education courses, email or print the information, including class number, to more easily search Buff Portal and enroll. Still have questions? Contact an advisor.


Monday – Friday
9:00am to 4:00pm


We are located at the corner of University Avenue and 15th Street in a white brick building.


1505 University Avenue
University of Colorado Boulder
178 UCB
Boulder, Colorado