Applying and Enrolling as an Auditor
The following course instruction modes are available to auditors:
- Boulder Main Campus: All instruction modes are available
- Continuing Education Campus: CE Online Credit term-based classes and CE Evening Credit classes (in-person, hybrid remote/online, hybrid in-person/online-remote)
Follow the steps below to enroll as an auditor. If you have questions about any of the steps listed below, contact our Enrollment Services team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 1: Find a Class to Audit
- Review the restricted courses. Auditors are not eligible to enroll in courses on this list or may need additional department approval as well as the instructor’s approval.
- Use the CU Boulder Class Search site to see open courses that are not closed or waitlisted.
- Narrow your search by changing the filters on that page, including Campus, Subject, and Instruction Mode, and update the semester, if needed.
Step 2: Review Auditor Costs
- Spring and Fall terms: Auditors under the age of 55 pay a flat rate of $250.00 per term. Auditors aged 55 and older pay a flat rate of $80 per term (for CU Boulder alumni), and a flat rate of $95 per term (for non-alumni).
- Summer Session: All auditors pay a flat rate of $250. There is only one rate in the summer.
- Current CU Boulder staff and faculty may audit courses and will pay the flat rate for their age group. This cost is not covered by the Tuition Assistance Benefit.
- If you are a retired CU faculty, please contact email@example.com to let us know after you submit your application.
There are no additional course fees, however, you may elect to buy books or the “Day 1 Digital Access” to online course materials. The access fee for these online course materials is charged by the University Bookstore to all students in the class except for auditors. If you would like to pay to receive these items, you may email the Bookstore for access. For information about this fee visit the University Bookstore’s Day 1 Digital Access resource or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 3: Apply
Please select the category you fit into for specific instructions for applying. The spring 2024 application will be available on January 2.
- New Auditor (You have never audited at CU Boulder and have not previously filled out an auditing application): Please submit the Auditor Application form. Submit this form online early, before the course enrollment period starts, to avoid processing delays. After your application form is processed, you will receive an email confirmation that includes your CU Boulder student ID number and further enrollment instructions.
- Previous Auditor Applicant (You applied last term but never enrolled in a course): Please email our records team, email@example.com. Please include your first and last name, and CU student ID in the email and we’ll reply with next steps. You do not need to submit a new application.
- Returning Auditor (You enrolled in a course through the CE Auditor program last term): As a former auditor, you have been automatically activated for the current term. You do not need to submit a new application.
Step 4: Obtain Instructor Permission to Audit
Auditors must be formally included in the roster for the class(es) they will attend. You may either request permission from the instructor by email or print out the permission form to take to class.
- Online Permission to Audit:
- Locate the instructor’s name from your desired course on the CU Boulder Class Search. Their email might be hyperlinked under ‘Instructor Info.’ If not, copy their name. Then, go to colorado.edu. Click on the magnifying glass in the top right corner and paste/type the instructor’s name. Their email is on the right side under CU People Search. Send an email to the instructor introducing yourself and expressing your interest in auditing their course.
- If they reply with permission for you to audit, save the entire email thread, including the reply with the date, instructor email address and course name, as a PDF and upload it to the Auditor Instructor Permission Form, before submitting it online. You’ll need your student ID to submit the form. The form will provide step by step instructions for completing it. Please fill in all required fields. If you’re missing information in the required fields the form will not allow you to submit it.
- In-person Permission to Audit (Printed Form): Open and print the form. Bring it with you to class to obtain written permission from the instructor to audit. Return the completed paper version of the form with instructor signature(s) in person to Continuing Education at 1505 University Avenue or by fax at 303- 492-5335
Step 5: Enroll in Courses
While you may attend an eligible course starting the first day of class, our staff starts processing enrollments the business day after the course’s session add deadline for credit-seeking students.
The Continuing Education Enrollment Services team will begin auditor enrollment on the following dates for Fall 2023 courses:
- September 7: Main Campus Full Term
- September 8: CE Online Credit Session 1
- September 13: CE Online Credit and CE Evening Credit Full Session
- October 6: CE Online Credit and CE Evening Credit 10 Week
- October 26: CE Online Credit Session 2
The Continuing Education Enrollment Services team will begin auditor enrollment on the following dates for Spring 2024 courses:
- January 25: Main Campus Full Term
- January 25: CE Online Credit Session 1
- January 31: CE Online Credit and CE Evening Credit Full Session
- February 26: CE Online Credit and CE Evening Credit 10 Week
- March 14: CE Online Credit Session 2
Step 6: Pay your bill
You can pay for your course after you receive your enrollment confirmation email. Bills become available in Buff Portal (CU Bill&Pay for authorized payers) by the second Thursday of each month after you are enrolled in a class. Payment is due on the 5th of the following month. Postmarks and post-dated checks are not honored. Dates may be subject to change without notice. Please note, you’ll be assessed a nonrefundable 2.85% service fee for credit card payments. There are three ways to make a payment:
- Pay online: You can access online payments via Buff Portal via the Tuition & Fees card. Click on Balance Summary, then View/Pay Bill, which will direct you to CU Bill&Pay, the university’s secure online billing and payment system.
- Pay by phone: Please call the CE Accounting team at 303-492-2212 to make a credit card payment over the phone.
- Pay in person: At the Continuing Education building (1505 University Avenue) with a check. Please make all checks payable to University of Colorado Boulder.
- Pay by mail: You can mail a check to the following address, please include your 9-digit CU ID number on your check:
Boulder, CO 80309-0178
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you encounter extenuating circumstances that result in you needing to drop all your courses for the current term. Auditors are not eligible for financial aid, scholarships, or payment plans.
- Contact the CE Accounting team at 303-492-2212 if you have any questions regarding auditor fees and payments.
No English Language Requirement
There is no English language requirement for auditors. Auditors are not seeking credit and are not held to the same standards as credit-seeking students.