5 Tips for Success in CE Online Classes
CE Online Credit courses are a great option if you require more flexibility in your education; however, they can also provide unique challenges you might not find in traditional on-campus courses:
- Time management is key. CE online courses do not require you to be in class at a specific time or place, but you are still responsible for completing the work. Create a consistent schedule for yourself that allows you to devote enough time to be successful in the course. We suggest for every credit hour of enrollment you should spend two to three hours studying. Therefore, if you enroll in a three-credit course you should expect to study anywhere from six to nine hours per week for this course.
- Find or set up a dedicated study space. Just because your course is online does not mean that you have to study in your pajamas at home on the couch in front of the TV; it just means that you can (but probably shouldn’t). Make sure you find a space where you can focus successfully on your work. Libraries are great places to study and many have dedicated study spaces that can be reserved. If going to a library is not convenient, set up a dedicated study space at home. When you enter that space, whether it is a guest room, home office, or simply a desk in the corner of the living room, you are there for one thing: to study.
- Make use of resources as you would in an on-campus course.
- Start slow. The opportunity to take a CE online class is exciting and we offer more sections every semester, but consider enrolling in only one course during your first attempt at an online class. This will allow you time to adjust to your new learning environment.
- Make sure you are taking a CE online course for the right reasons. Think CE Online Credit courses are easier than in-person courses?
Think again. You will be expected to do the same amount of work (or more) than most traditional on-campus courses. If you are not sure if a CE online course is right for you, please contact our advisors and we can help you figure it out.