Reengaging as a Nondegree Student
The process for reengaging with CU Boulder differs depending on how much time has passed since you last enrolled in classes. If you aren’t sure how long you’ve been away or if you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com or 303-492-5148. We can help guide you.
If you know it has been less than 12 months since you last enrolled as a nondegree student, you must term activate yourself before you can enroll in classes. In order to self-term activate:
- Log in to Buff Portal.
- Open the main menu and search for term activation.
- Select the term activation card to view it, then follow the link.
- Complete your preregistration items (if necessary).
- Open the main menu and click “Term Information.”
- Click “Activate new term for enrollment.”
- Select your nondegree program, then click “Select this row.”
- Click “Continue.”
- Select the term you’d like to register for, then click “Continue.”
- You are now term-activated. You will need to term-activate every semester as long as you are a nondegree student.
If you know it has been more than 12 months since you last enrolled as a nondegree student, please complete the online application for the semester you wish to begin taking courses.
If you do not receive a communication from us 48 hours after submitting the online application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-492-5148 to confirm the status of your application.
Once your student record is reactivated, here are the steps to enroll in classes:
1. Select Your Courses
Begin planning your schedule by consulting CU Boulder’s online schedule of courses.
- Select “Boulder Main Campus” for daytime, on-campus classes (enrollment available through the ACCESS program).
- Select “Boulder Continuing Education” for Evening Credit and Online Credit
Your email with an invitation to enroll will give you detailed information on registering for ACCESS, evening, and online courses, as well as important registration dates.
Nondegree Prerequisite Approval
If the undergraduate course in which you are interested in enrolling has prerequisites that have been met through coursework at another college, you must submit your unofficial transcript to Continuing Education for approval. Please include the student ID number included in your welcome email, the course(s) for which you would like to register, including the section number, and the courses on your transcript that you believe fulfill the required prerequisite courses.
There are some exceptions to this process, as some departments prefer to approve their own prerequisite courses. A Continuing Education Academic Advisor can provide more information if your course request needs further approval.
All graduate level classes are restricted. You must contact the instructor or the department to get permission to enroll. This can often be done via email. To find instructor email addresses, you may search the online directory.
If the instructor provides written permission to enroll in their course, please forward that communication along with your course enrollment request (including student ID, course number and section number) to email@example.com.
Our Enrollment Services team will manually enroll you in the course(s) after prerequisites are approved, and you will receive a confirmation email once officially enrolled.