International Student Resources
The University of Colorado Boulder welcomes visiting students from around the world. Experience American culture, make friends, enjoy Boulder, and take advantage of a top-notch university. International students have two options for enrollment as nondegree students. Details below will help you find the best path for your CU Boulder enrollment this summer:
Option #1: International travelers who enter the United States on a Visa Waiver or on a B1/B2 Tourist Visa
U.S. Immigration law prohibits any full-time study for students who enter the U. S. on the visa waiver program or on B1/B2 tourist visas. Visitors on B1/B2 tourist visas, or on the visa waiver program, enroll in a maximum of one (1) 3-credit course only if the following criteria are met:
- Enrollment in University of Colorado Boulder course(s) will be solely for recreational purposes;
- Course work will not be considered full time; and the course will not be used for credit toward a degree, diploma, or certificate;
- Enrollment will be limited to one credit course per semester. Noncredit enrollment will not exceed 18 clock hours per week;
- The course(s) are only incidental to the tourist’s visit to the U.S., and are not the main purpose of the visit.
- Complete an Online Enrollment Application for Continuing Education
- Complete English language assessment (you will be contacted by a staff member)
- Provide a copy of passport/visa
- Sign a Tourist Visa Approval to Enroll Form
Option #2: International citizens who want to study at CU Boulder on a full-time basis on an F1 student visa
The University of Colorado Boulder’s visiting international student program allows you to enroll in undergraduate or graduate courses at the university and earn credit as a nondegree student during Summer Session. Visiting international students can find more information on the Summer Session website.
If you are interested in taking classes at the University of Colorado Boulder during fall or spring terms, you can apply to main campus as a degree student. For more information about admissions, please visit CU Boulder Admissions.
International English Center students are encouraged to visit the IEC website.